Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Old 76 Club - Brooktondale, NY

In Tompkins County, few bars have the mystique of the Old 76 Club.  Some people will tell you it is one of the creepiest bars you will ever go to.  One might take that into consideration if they may their approach to the bar via Buffalo Hill Rd. off Rt 79.  Buffalo Hill Rd. will instantly remind you of the movie Deliverance the further you venture from Rt. 79.   I myself have tried doing the drive alone to find the bar, but once the paved road disappears and you are working on nothing but dirt, I began to get scared and turned around fearing my car would break down and I would be made to squeal like a piggy.

I have know a couple of bartenders in town who have worked there.  There were both females and both of them somewhat petite.  My isolated suburban Connecticut background was probably getting the best of me as it routinely does.  However, I still wanted a partner for this venture ...just in case there really was a redneck gang rape in the cards for that evening.  I am a huge advocate of the buddy system.


After climbing up Buffalo Hill Rd. we finally happened upon the Old 76 Club.  This was the same day as our trip to the Lisle Inn, so we were decked out in our redneck regalia and knew we would blend in as best we could.






I feel like an idiot for not getting any pictures from the inside, but I am sure you get the idea of what we headed in strictly from this picture.  Yes, that IS the front door to an actual bar.  I probably didn't take any pictures inside from fear of being discovered.  Some people just don't like their pictures taken.  Some people like hiding out in shady, dark bars.  I was definitely not going to start snapping off pictures with my phone and have people question what the hell I was doing.

We had a couple Coors Lights inside.  It seemed to be the house beer.  It was actually pretty spacious inside and even had a small kitchen.  I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't go back now that my fears of rape have subsided.  Next time I'll try to get some better pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment