Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Salty Dog - Ithaca, NY (1970s)

This Summer marks the 40th anniversary of the opening of The Salty Dog.  This is the bar that started it all at 413 Taughannock Blvd in Ithaca.  This is the location of my bar, Castaways.  The bar has been through many, many makeovers over the years.  Between The Salty Dog and Castaways, the bar has been Captain Joe's Reef, Captain Joe's, Max's, Key West, and there were even rumors that it was once called Rumors at one point back in the 80's.  Word on the streets is that there was a dress code and the place didn't last very long.


Today, the bar is covered in really ugly stucco.  I find it somewhat hysterical that the bar used to be covered in ugly fake stone facade.  Some things don't change I guess.

I have always loved vintage pictures.  A moment frozen in time.  The best part of The Salty Dog is that the old owner and many of the regulars still frequent Castaways.  They are a bastion of memories.  I'm sure they have been embellished over the years, but I still love to hear them.  Nothing wrong with a little artistic license anyway if it makes for a good story. 

It is amazing to me how much the bar has changed.



Even way back then, the bar was know for being a spot for live music.  The day we bought the bar was the day I had to start hearing stories about how how Orleans used to play the bar.  At first, I just smiled and nodded.   I had no clue who the hell Orleans was.  However, I stumbled upon Orleans on a "Gayest Album Covers of All Time List".  There is going to be a giant reunion for The Salty Dog this summer and I knew I HAD to have the #1 Gayest Album Cover of All Time signed, so I bought a copy on EBay for $10.  Turns out I do know an Orleans song.  It is called "Still The One".  It was pretty popular back in the day.  I definitely have heard it on the radio a bunch of times.  Here is the album cover.





Definitely, really gay.

It seems the bar is laid out pretty much the same as it was.  The bathrooms have moved around a bit.  There has been a facelift or two.  Somewhere along the lines, someone made a pretty heavy investment in sound production equipment. 

Here are a couple more pictures looking back at The Salty Dog....







I think we even have one of these t-shirts hanging on the wall of the bar today.  I'm sure it was a LOT more fun owning a bar back then.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! A trip down memory lane. I played the Salty Dog in the early 70's. Can't remember if we were Rocking Horse or Charlie then but it was the same band. Seems like we played there a few times. All good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pulling out my dads stuff from Vietnam and came across 2 of these t-shirts from the Salty Dog!! Look quite old, worn, and heavily used. I'm sure my dad loved the place in its day.

    ReplyDelete